Sunday, April 18, 2010

She bangs

That is, I have bangs now. Yes, this will be a post on hair. Mainly hair.
Thing is, with women any stories about hair are never only about hair. A friend of mine, who also happens to be my guru, once told me that whenever a woman feels the need for change in her life, she will change her hair first. That was a revelation for me, even though I am a woman and have the unshakable habit of notoriously changing my hair. Anyway, I started to pay attention and examine my life every time I feel like changing anything about my locks.
Here is the photo diary of my last 12 months. Sorry about the picture quality, most of these are stills taken with my handycam.
This time last year I looked like I usually looked for the past decade. My hair was long, sleek and red, and always swept to the side to keep from hanging in my face. Then early in the summer, about the time when my ex and I broke up, I had it cut short. Well, shoulder length, really. I didn't have such a short do since I gave birth and my hair started falling out.

I let it grow back since then. As I explained in the previous post, I really have abandoned my usual grooming habits, I washed my hair once a week and didn't even bother to blow it dry or comb it. I just didn't give a damn about my looks and was (in fact, I still am) convinced that no one else cares about it either. However, I dyed it darker, a natural shade of brown, to fit my mood and also to meld in the crowd.

The lack of skincare showed its effect when, a few weeks ago, my usually immaculate forehead was covered with zits, something I did not experience in the past 20 years. I was so annoyed with it, I grabbed my needlework scissors and chopped off some locks to cover my face! The result was not as catastrophic as I thought, after all I do have a long face, so bangs, however I hate them, would be advised, but I felt I look too much like Ugly Betty, so I visited a hair saloon. 

And this is what I look like now, shorter hair, brunette with bangs, and although it is not too bad, it is not like me. Or too much like me, considering that this is the same hairdo that I had, and hated, throughout my entire childhood, as illustrated:

My only comfort: I kinda look like agent Emily Prentiss from Criminal Minds, one of my favourite TV shows.

5 comments:

Annie said...

I think it gives you one of those cool rock start looks. Bangs are fun if your hair is straight... mine always gave trouble by waving in weird ways so I'm glad mine are gone.

Karan said...

I think it looks lovely.... & it sure beats the salt & pepper straggle locks I have. LOL :0)

Raven/Missy said...

I think your new hairstyle looks very nice on you.

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I went back and read the whole archive as well. I wanted to let you know that I understand how you have been feeling as I have struggled with major depression as well. I do hope you continue to feel better every day!

Meari said...

You DO look like Emily, only with lighter locks. I think your new "do" looks nice.

Vikki said...

I know how you feel about the hair. I find it very hard to change my hair style. I know it will grow back but it is that in between stage that petrifies me. I think your hair cut is great and refreshing. I also like the old style too. :)