Monday, May 31, 2010

Alice

I mentioned fairy tales in my post yesterday. I love them. I love them all. I have some favourites, but I love fantasy stories in general, and tales are just fantasy for kids. One of my favourite authors is Lewis Carroll, I truly admire his imagination and literary skills. Did you know I used to know the Jabberwockey poem by heart when I was little? I learned it in Hungarian because I didn't speak English yet. I can still recite the first two verses!
I am also a big fan of Tim Burton. I always loved this unique style and vision. So you can imagine how excited I was to hear of his interpretation of Alice in Wonderland. I counted the days until the premiere and it is the only movie to date that I have watched in 3D.
No wonder the story and the visuals have inspired Susan in Maryland to create a truly fantastic piece of fabric art to honour the complexity, creativity and depth of the story. I have been following her progress for quite some time, and meant to blog about it, as she is truly gifted and creates magic with her needle. Please follow this link to see how this amazing masterpiece was born! I wish I could do something like that!

Also, following the link here you can find some truly breathtaking photos by my favourite photographer, Annie Leibovitz. She sent her Alice through a wild ride in the crazy world of fashion and the result is funny, breathtaking and inspiring at the same time. As it should be.

1 comment:

Little Cat said...

I love fairytale and fantasy too. Alice is out here on DVD/Blu-ray this week and I've just had notification that my copy is in the post! I've not seen it yet (cinema and my 3 year old is not a good idea) and I'm so excited. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.