Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kitteh taking shape

I scanned Cuddling Cat last night but it was so late I put the fabric in the scanner the wrong side down, so I scanned the back first. LOL! No problem, at least I can show you the back of my stitching. Still not as neat as I wish, but I am getting there!
If I think about my first cross stitch kit, I am mildly ashamed of how ugly its back is. And the front too, if I want to be completely honest. At the time I was terribly proud of myself for doing such a good job, but with 10+ years of CS experience behind me, I cringe when I look at it. The top stitches on my Xs are in totally random direction, to name but one problem. And I can see some of the threads that I carried a long way through the fabric. Not pretty!


Still, it's my first stitched piece. As the matter of fact, that too was a DMC kit, Chloé Watering Flowers. And it's hanging on my wall for the rest of my life.




Back to Sarah Kay: I started filling the dots on the dress and I hate it! It messes up the back even more! I almost promised myself I will never do another design like this, but I already have another kit in my stash, and yes, her dress is covered in dots too!
*sigh*

Well, I think I'll just take some time to spend on other stitches before I start working on that one. My mom already requested a Dimensions design, which is a nice change because she ignored my hobby so far. If she ever said anything about it, it was how much money and time I spend on it that would be better, and a lot more rewarding, if I spent it on something else, like housework or finding a good job. But right now stitching is what I need most. I know you ladies will understand. We often joke about how stitching keeps us sane, but with my record of diagnosed psychological problems, it's a fact. Without cross stitch, I would be going mad like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

11 comments:

Becky K in OK said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. I have a friend who is a neat stitcher. Her backs are fabulous. One time she asked her boss to frame one of her pieces. He did, only he had the back facing out! I'll never achieve that perfection.

claudia said...

Hi Jade! Thank you for coming by and leaving that nice comment. And yes, I am proud of myself!
Speaking of proud, you are a very proud Mommy too aren't you? Your daughter is adorable. I can only imagine how dear your weekends are with her. You are such a thoughtful Mom, waiting until you are strong enough to take care of her yourself. That says a lot for how much you love her!
Your stitching is great! I know many stitchers are so aware of how the back of theie works look. I have many pieces that I just can't stand to look at the back. But I continue on and figure that once finished the back will no longer matter!
Again, thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your visit. It's nice to "meet" you!

Carolyn NC said...

The first is still your first, and who cares if it's perfect?! Love your cudling kitten - so cute!

mainely stitching said...

My early projects are pretty messy, too, but when I look at them all I can remember is how happy they made me at the time. :)

Peonies & Magnolias said...

Your daughter is the cutest little girl ever. Love your stitching and the backs will all work out. My daughter once told me she didn't worry about her backs because no one will ever see them. Thanks for visiting me.

Sandy

Chiloe said...

Your right, it keeps us sane. People underestimate the healing power of our stitching ;-) My mom is like you, she critizes more than she appreciate it. If only, our moms will know how much will appreciate their support in our hobby ...

Thanks for sharing your pictures: I love looking at them ;-)

Which dimensions your mom like?

Gayle said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. You do nice work and have a cute little girl.
Happy Stitching, Gayle

Nita said...

I love your Sarah Kay.
My very first cross stitch was a stamped piece. I tried so hard, but didn't realize the stitches were supposed to touch, and very faithfully followed the exact stamped marks! Lots of gaps and strange looking stitches on that one - lol!
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Annie said...

Personally, I never worry about mistakes. I just like to look at the finished piece as a whole. The watering flowers piece is just delightful!

And I get how stitching can be more important than anything else at times. I'm definitely guilty of letting everything go and and just stitching to stay sane.

Love how you described your daughter helping you in the previous post. She's such a cutie!

Nancy said...

Sarah Kay is going to beautiful! I think your first piece of cross stitch is very sweet, and I love the idea that you will hang it on the wall forever. It is very nice to meet you!

EvalinaMaria said...

Your stitching is beautiful! I love Cuddling Cat and can't wait to see more of it.

And you live in my favorite European city. While living in Poland I was visiting Budapest at least twice a year... and I miss the best gulash soup ever...