Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Deepest fears

I am making such a great progress on Cuddling Cat I really surprised myself. Usually I would tinker with a design of this size for months. But now it seems I will finish it withing three weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am very delighted at this turn of events, but as a firm believer in logic and reason, I wanted to know what triggered this change of heart in me.
I think I got it now. I do all these relatively small projects to postpone the end of a big one. Deepest Love by Mirabilia. I have been working on this mermaid since early 2006. Right now I only need to add a few missing stitches (lips, etc) and the backstitch, and then add the beads. I must admit, I am kinda scared of the beading. Never done it before. After devoting three years of my life to work on this piece, I don't wanna ruin it with inadequate bead work.

I'm a little afraid to wash it too. I always tried to store it properly and always wash my hands before stitching, but three years is three years, and I was petrified to see how dirty the middle part is, you know, where I started to add my stitches. It even comes through in the photos and scans I have made of it.

Finally, I just don't think I can let go of this project yet. Does it sound silly to you? It's like a closing of an era. Maybe it's because of my upcoming divorce. I'm just not ready for so many changes in my life. Living alone, being single officially, probably a new job AND not having DL in my WIP stash is too much to take.




12 comments:

Annie said...

Your mermaid looks beautiful. Time to finish her up so you can frame her and have her around as a friend you can look at whenever you want.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Your mermaids are gorgeous.
The beading is easy. Just cross stitch them in with the center of the x's being in the middle of the bead. (email me if you need a better explanation) Anyone that can finish one of these beautiful pieces could never ruin it with bead work....

As for washing it... hand wash it in mild soap... some use baby laundry soap... I have used palmolive antibacterial dish soap and it takes out all the icky's you may not see...

I know alot of change at once is hard but you will be fine... (been there more times than I want to admit)

Chin up my dear and look for your rainbow.

Dawn in Az AKA Golden Angel
golden-angel@cox.net

Heidi said...

Love the mermaids! Miribilia is so much fun to do! I have one kitted up eagerly awaiting stitching for years now. I use to knock these out in months but now its extended to years as I do other projects in between. I guess that's what i get for blogging and meeting other stitchers with blogs! LOL My fall picture actual came from my computer, i wish i could take such a pretty picture

Karan said...

You have so many lovely pieces on your blog. I really love the mermaid. All finished, framed & on your wall she could be the symbol, not of an ending, but of a whole new beginning with all kinds of wonderful possibilities for you. :0)

Lana said...

Beautiful!!! And thank you for droppin' by my blog!

Kimberly-Ann said...

Maybe you could finish her, frame her but instead of hanging her you still could keep her in your wip bag, or just lying on the coffee table, or on the couch - almost like a favourite book rather than something that goes on the wall... just for now... til you're ready!

Chiloe said...

You'll finish her when you'll be ready! Don't worry about it and enjoy the project you are doing in between. It took me a long time to finish a Lanarte but I did finish it and I know I'll finish my Fucshia from Lanarte as well one day ;-)

You are stronger than you think! We are stronger than e think but we don't always know it ...

Hugs !!!!!!

Mylene said...

It is beautiful! Goodluck with the beading, i am sure you can do it.

Sharon said...

Bless you heart - you're going through so much, so quickly. If it helps any - I've been where you are (only minus the support of a beautiful mermaid!!) You'll be fine - just take one breath at a time, one step at a time...I'll remember you in my prayers.
Speaking of your mermaid, just think how beautiful she'll be when she's framed, and then you can look at her whenever you want, not just when you're stitching on her. She can watch over you and be your "guardian angel". Look at her and smile....

tkdquintmom said...

Hi, I've finally found your blog! :) Don't be afraid of beading...treat it like cross stitching. Come up with the thread, add the bead and then go down (like you are making half of the cross stitch) and then complete the cross stitch by coming up, going through the bead again, and going down. It's like a cross stitch with a bead on top! Piece of cake you can do it!

Carolyn NC said...

Mermaid is beautiful - you won't mess up the beading - so take the plunge! Washing shouldn't be a problem either with just regular DMC here. Good luck!

Lillie said...

Wow ! the mermaid is stunning and lots of lovely WIPs you've got there.