Saturday, July 2, 2011

My future favourite author

There's nothing I love more than when worlds collide. So I was very pleased to see a special episode of Arthur, a cartoon series my daughter and I both enjoy. To my surprise, one of my favourite authors, Neil Gaiman, had appeared as himself, told the kids about graphic novels and coached a little girl who was trying her hand at writing and drawing one. I have been a big fan of the genre ever since I heard of it. Not much of a surprise, really, as I love to read, and being the geek I am, I love comic books too. Graphic novels are like the love child of the two genres, and I just can't get enough of them. It seems my girl likes the idea too, as she expressed her love for the Arthur episode by recreating the graphic novel written Sue Ellen in the story. Here is her first drawing of the chief circle and triangle:
Of course, nowadays contacting famous people is not as difficult as it was, let's say, twenty or more years ago. Since Neil Gaiman is very active on Twitter by the name @neilhimself, I couldn't help myself but let him know what my girl was up to and how she plans on writing graphic novels. To my surprise he replied within a few minutes, saying "my work here is done".
Yep. And I will continue to work on dragging her deeper and deeper into the magnificent world of words and images.

No comments: