Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cuddling cute with some glitches...

(Intermission: you know, sometimes I hate Blogger with a passion. What is the sense in asking if I want to align my pictures to the left if they will all end up crammed next to each other? Seriously, Wordpress is much more user friendly, I only blog here because all my friends do. Back to our regularly scheduled program.)

I have finished Cuddling Cat! Isn't she adorable? Usually I take my time backstitching because, in all honesty, I hate it. But this time my needle seemed to soar through the fabric and I have finished backstitching in a single afternoon!

As adorable this design is, I did turn up my nose at a few things. Certain points of the chart were designed like it was the first time attempt of an amateur and not the product of a major company. I hope I will not commit copyright infringement, but I scanned parts of my working copy to show you what I mean.


Can you see the signs I marked with the arrows? The three dots at number 3 can barely be seen, but I spotted them. But someone with a bit more poor eyesight may miss it. Why not pick another sign to make it more obvious?

Worse yet, at arrows number 1 and 2 the backstitch is running in the same direction as the \ that identifies the colour. It's absolutely not obvious if there really is a \ or the space should be left blank. I had to use a magnifier lens on the cover design to see that yes, there is indeed a stitch underneath both lines of backstitch. Again, this kind of problems may happen to a newbie designer, but seriously, DMC?

13 comments:

Meari said...

Congrats on your finish. It looks great!

Sandy In Montana said...

The finish looks great, Jade.

The reason that some of the symbols are not visible is because they were designing with whole stitches only and not quarter stitches. Some Dimensions kits are that way.

Carolyn NC said...

Lovely finish!

nima said...

Beautiful finish.

have you tried window's live writer. It is really good for posting. you can read more about it here http://download.live.com/writer

blogger was a pain for me...but now it is easy with windows live writer

Annie said...

What a cute finish. When I'm in a bad mood, I get upset with charts like that too. But usually, I'm not so particular and I just do what I feel like. In the end, you can never really see those those tiny stitches individually anyway.

Vicki in CO said...

Cute finish! I'm a sucker for anything with cats or dogs!

Gabi said...

Cute finish. Congrats

Chiloe said...

Congrats on your finish ;-)

Sometimes you just have to guess looking back and forth with the picture and the chart ... I hate that too ...

Ginnie said...

Cute finish. I know what you mean about the charts. Sometimes it would be useful have a copy without the back stitch to follow first and then a second with the back stitch on! But then the charts would cost more I suppose!

Nancy M said...

I feel your frustration with crappy charts! They should know better! Cute finish though!

Vikki said...

Congrates on the finish and is very cute. As for the chart, it definitely leaves something to be desired. You shouldn't get a migraine trying to figure out where the symbol goes and if it goes at all.

glenda said...

What a wonderful design. You did a beautiful job

Karan said...

Just catching up with blog reading. Well done on the very cute HD. :0)
I hate that about charts too.